The Praça do Comércio (Commerce Square) is the largest and grandest of Lisbon’s mighty squares that is located on the edge of the Tagus River. The square is still commonly known as Terreiro do Paço (Palace Yard), because it was the former location of the Paços da Ribeira (Royal Ribeira Palace) until its destruction during the great 1755 earthquake. It was rebuilt with a triumphal arch facing the spectacular Tagus River, it’s also one of the largest Squares in Europe. The Square is distinguished by its buildings with their round arches, façade painted yellow with white trim(its original colour). In the centre of the Square, facing the river, is a bronze statue to King José the 1st, mounted on his horse Gentil, which is the work of the famous sculptor Machado de Castro. On the Northern side of the Square there is the Arco Triunfal da Rua Augusta (Triumphal Arch), which marks the entrance to the Rua Augusta, and the “Baixa” or city centre. The three statues at the top of the tower represent Glory, Valour, and Genius and are part of the Portuguese coat of arms. The two figures lying down represent the rivers Tagus and Douro. The square is also home to the city’s oldest café, “Martinho da Arcada”, the beautiful Pousada hotel, tourist office, the Lisboa Story Center, which presents the history of the city, and several restaurants with tables outside.